Christian-based drug rehab programs help clients restore their faith and relationship with God while healing from addiction. A Christian-based addiction treatment center typically includes bible study, 12-step groups, scripture readings, sermons discussing addiction and the Christian faith, daily prayer, church service, and pastoral counseling.
TIPS: If you're looking for Christian drug rehab
- Contact the local church or congregation leader for support and strength during this difficult time.
- Contact a substance abuse professional at Addicted.org to see what resources are available in your area that fit your spiritual needs.
- Encourage the individual struggling to attend religious services, but do not force them or make them wrong for not going. This could force them away
- Contact a medical professional before stopping heavy substance use because withdrawal from alcohol and certain drugs can be life-threatening.
What if I Am Not a Christian?
Attending a Christian-based substance abuse treatment program has many inherent benefits, whether someone is Christian or not. Consider the following information:
- These programs place a high value on providing an environment that helps people reconnect with everything good they have lost.
- The programs utilize evidence-based therapies with Christian teachings.
- The programs incorporate individual therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, group therapy, life skills courses, relapse prevention, co-occurring disorder treatment, and family counseling.
- The overall goal is to treat the entire person, not just the psychological and physical aspects of addiction.
- Clients learn to lean on Christianity to help them cope and resist triggers that could fuel a relapse.
- Christian treatment centers are more affordable because many are non-profit organizations or affiliated with congregations that give donations or support the community.
The point of rehabilitation is to rehabilitate the person back to the person they once were before they became addicted to drugs or alcohol. Our experts recommend treatment should encompass healing a person physically, mentally, and spiritually. Christian programs or any faith-based rehabilitation provides this to its clients.
Ask a Professional
How can a Christian drug rehab program help me overcome addiction?
A Christian drug rehab program helps you or your loved one overcome addiction by reading the Bible and praying daily. This helps build a routine based on joy and positivity, asking God for forgiveness, and finding solace in praying with others. Moreover, you ask God to give you the strength to stay sober. The programs also incorporate other forms of therapy and counseling with teachings from the Bible.
Where in the Bible is it speaking about addiction?
Throughout the Bible are numerous messages implicating substance abuse, namely alcohol. It speaks about harm to the body and the spirit. Passages include Proverbs 20:1, Galatians 5: 19-21, Romans 13: 13-14, and many others.
What do Christians say about substance use?
In Christianity, it is believed that substance use is a temptation that leads you away from the light of God. It is challenging to be a Christian and continue to indulge in drugs and alcohol. However, in Christianity, individuals can accept God back into their lives and have their sins washed away. Regardless of how deep someone has fallen into addiction, there is always forgiveness from God.
Want to know more?
The questions from Addicted.org’s “Learn from our Experts” are answered by Michael Leach, CCMA. If you need further clarification on any of the questions above or have any other questions you can contact him directly at [email protected].