What is Drug Detox? - Video & Tips
TIPS: If you are going to detox
- Never stop taking medication without consulting a doctor.
- If you have a sponsor or a loved one you trust, let him know that you are stopping.
- Get medical assistance if you see the situation is getting out of control.
- Get medical support through medical detox or advice from your doctor when detoxing from alcohol, opioids, and benzodiazepines.
- Extrovert your attention. Walking and spending time outside can be very therapeutic.
- Consider joining a support group to help you during the withdrawal.
- Holistic detox approaches are also effective, especially when mild withdrawal symptoms do not require medication assistance.
- Try to stay active; it can help take your attention away from the effects of withdrawal.
- Make sure to eat healthy foods.
After completing a drug detox program in West Virginia, it is important to seek additional help since detox is only the first step in the recovery process. To achieve long-term sobriety, an individual should transfer from detox into some form of inpatient treatment. If this is not possible, then a person should at the very least seek outpatient services. You may need to conduct an intervention when someone is completely against continuing with treatment.